Tonight we will be talking about U.S. militarism and intervention in the Asia Pacific. Since Trump’s presidency, the U.S. has has escalated bombings, airstrikes and troop deployments abroad and intensified repression at home. Trump’s slogan of America First has been a battle cry to maintain U.S. global hegemony in a crisis-laden multipolar world.
The U.S. has had a long presence in the Asia Pacific with many of its 900 military bases abroad base in the region. Since the rise of China as a world power and an economic and military threat to the U.S., former President Obama declared the Asian Pivot strategy. Trump promises to fulfill the Asian Pivot with renewed threats against North Korea and the Philippines.
Our guests today are organizers from the Korean, Chomorro, and Filipino communities. will talk about the current threats, what people on the ground are doing to resist U.S. intervention, and what people here can do.
Joining us are:
- Mari Choi with HOBAK (Hella Organized Bay Area Koreans) provides some perspective on North Korea; U.S. military interests in the Korean peninsula; and what peace, reunification, and self-determination can look like.
- Kerri Ann Borja is with Independent Guåhan. and will share with us the current threats to Guam and what people there are doing to resist.
- Irma Shauf- Bajar is the chairperson for GABRIELA USA. GABRIELA is the largest alliance of Filipino women’s organizations in the Philippines and around the world fighting for national sovereignty and genuine democracy. Irma is also a leader for the International Women’s Alliance which organized the Solidarity & Fight Back Conference in Toronto last month.
- Guest host is Raquel Redondiez, who has been an anti-war and international human rights advocate for the last 20 years.
We also hear from speakers at the Emergency DACA Rally on Tuesday.
- On Friday, Alameda County will host the controversial SWAT training, war games and weapons expo, Urban Shield. At the same time, communities around the world are gathering to resist police militarization! In Oakland, starting at 4 p.m., Stop Urban Shield Coalition offers trainings and resources on People’s Fire Safety, Earthquake Kits, and How to Be Cop-Free. The rally is at the Alameda County Board of Supervisor’s Office, 1221 Oak St.
- In DACA news, on Saturday, September 9th at 2 p.m. in Oscar Grant Plaza, Oakland, unDACAmented folks, families and allies are invited to participate in a rally and march to show love and support for #DACA. This peaceful demonstration will be centered around showing endless support and love for our community members who are under attack by this administration.