Today is the anniversary of 9/11, an event that has left indelible marks on our society and culture: We’re still grappling with the ramifications of the twin towers, and coming to terms with the wars, surveillance and black site prisons that have since proliferated in the name of “safety.” In commemoration, we look back at our past September 11th focused broadcasts, starting in 2001, and the ways in which our communities came to cope with, organize and fight back against the legacy left by 9/11.
- Yuri Kochiyama’s speech at the 9/11 rally in 2001.
- Gina Hotta’s sound collage of emotions, experiences and a coming together in the wake of 9/11.
- Truth on Trial – a follow up interview on the surveillance of Pakistani residents in a town called Lodi.
- Robynn Takayama’s short documentary and music piece on community efforts to help Muslim Americans targeted by hate crimes.
We also have a live phone interview with Zahra Billoo from CAIR on the lasting impact on Muslims and what’s being done to protect them.
Finally, we have a report back from the recent rally at the Marriot in Oakland which hosted the annual Urban Shield Conference.
Hosted by Salima Hamirani
Production: Salima Hamirani and Marie Choi.
Bindlestiff Studio’s One-Act Festival: STORIES HIGH XIV – September 12 – 27 Thursday – Sat 8pm
185 Sixth Street, San Francisco CA
Stories High is Bindlestiff’s Studio signature yearly education programming and new works performance. Bindlestiff Studio’s Stories High is an incubator program aimed to educate, cultivate, and showcase emerging and returning artists.
Filipin@ Diaspora Kitchen Presents: AFROPINO! Night – Wednesday September 17th 5 – 10 pm.
One Fam in West Oakland.1600 7th St
Celebrating the life and music of historical 7th Street’s own Afropina Legend…Sugar Pie DeSanto
FREE entrance to…
• Sing karaoke,
• Hear and share stories,
• Check out visual art by local artists, and
• Enjoy music, videos, and interviews of Sugar Pie DeSanto!