Download the show.
On tonight’s show we’ve put together a retrospective on Occupy for second anniversary of the Occupy Oakland General Strike, produced by APEX Express members during the encampment at Oscar Grant Plaza:
- We’ll revisit a sound collage from the early days of the encampment and hear from the variety of Oakland residents who decided to participate.
- We’ll hear from the Colorful Mamas of the 99% – a group of mothers who organized their families during the occupy movement.
- Karl’s piece Decolonize Oakland takes us back to the start of indigenous solidarity organizing during Occupy and how people of color asserted themselves as the protest wore on.
- We hear from the workers and participants of the First Occupy General Strike and why they thought it was important to protest in solidarity with each other.
- And finally, we listen to an account of the first night raid on the encampment. and the arrests that followed.
Salima Hamirani hosts.